Few hours of Freedom

Spiny Cheeked Honeyeater
Yesterday I was lucky enough to enjoy a few hours away from the house .
My friend and I took advantage of a cool morning and drove about 15 klms to a spot where a dam was built many years ago.
As we had a nice lot of rain a week or so ago I was looking forward to see how much water there was.
Shortly after leaving the main road we saw 4 plump Bronze wings flying off and as soon as we pulled up we could hear the calls of quite a few birds all new to me. The dam was quite full and backed up quite a way across the flat, I wish I had taken more photos but as was time was short I focused on enjoying myself and being out doors.
I got a few shots of a Spiny Cheeked Honeyeater not as good as I would have liked  but the best I have taken. I am still learning to use my camera and of course not always getting required results.
And there were others whose call I didn't recognise.
No ducks on the dam ! Probably because they have been shot at.
We could hear Red Capped Robins and Splendid wrens  in the tea trees and a cheeky Willy wagtail showed great interest as we walked around. Just before we turned back to the car we saw a family of White browed  Babblers, when I was a girl we called them the Happy Family birds.They spend a lot of time feeding on the ground and down low in the trees and are quite entertaining to watch.

Harlequin Beetle
 Several Topknot pigeon's made a hasty retreat at our approach and a Singing Honeyeater warned of our presence from a desert willow.
We came across a friendly lizard who was in no hurry to move along so I was pleased to  get a few shots of him.
Back near the car I found a beautiful red Harlequin Bug a member of the jewel beetle family. I was annoyed with myself as I had left my close up lens back at the vehicle.
Also there were many green and grey - blue dragonfly's around the dam a sign of good water, I think the blue grey dragonfly's were the females.
 I so wish I had the time to go and stay at this spot for at least a day.
 I am not sure what type of dragon lizard this little chap is but he was quite a good little poser

Stunning shy Bronzewing

Singing Honeyeater
All in all I saw 8 different varieties of birds over an hour or so , one I don't know but I think it may be a Black headed Honeyeater.




Comments