Some of the Wasps in my Garden

Mud Dauber wasp
Mud Dauber Wasp
No wonder the ladies of long ago dresses were referred to as wasp waist ,just take a look at this mud dauber wasp.


Paper wasp


Close up of the wasps eye  on the right Click to enlarge
I
I am getting quite stressed, I'm not sure how long the wasps will be around and I am finding it extremely hard to get some good shots.  Its difficult to settle to doing  anything boring like house work, when I feel this excitement that today may be the day when I get a really great shot or find something really interesting out there in my garden which by the way is looking more and more like a jungle each day, my neighbour keeps talking about chainsaws !!!!
I have seen at least 4 different yellow wasps in my garden
and the only reason I know this is because I have photographed them and can see the difference.And of course there are the black ones I have only seen a few of these to date.
Previous to this I would have thought there were no more than two of the yellow ones.
Paper wasp nest
Adult paper wasps feed on nectar  and build their nests from  saliva and wood .
They live in colonies of 15 to 20 . The white cells in the photo above are capped and contain larvae along with chewed up caterpillars to feed the larvae. How there could be any caterpillar's in my garden is beyond me as there are  dozens of wasps doing the rounds repeatedly all day long.
I have discovered that there are over 10,000 different wasps in Australia so don't like my chances of finding out which wasps I have found unless they are very common. 
When we had a 45 degree day a few weeks ago the wasps and flys found the best place to be was on my fly screen where the cool air from the air con was streaming out .
 Only wish I had the chance that day to get some good shoots.
As summer draws to a close there are fewer wasps around and if it is cooler there are even less.



Comments