The Satin Azure (Ogyris amaryllis) Butterfly

Well it has been awhile since I have posted so here we go.
Think it will be about a short trip we took out the bush over Easter.
I was looking forward to getting some bird pictures but came home with not a single shot.
Two weeks ago we had 80mm of rain just under a third of our annual rainfall, much needed rain and it is wonderful to see the transformation.
Small hidden swamp
This little swamp has been dry for years and now the air is alive with the sound of frogs and birds, butterfly's and all sorts of insects abound . All in a few short weeks!! Unfortunately I could only stay here less than 10 min's as the mossies were threatening to carry us away.
But what I did see here was the Satin Azure(Ogyris amaryllis) butterfly.
This butterfly has the most Amazing blue on the inside of it's wings and moves rapidly so as yet I don't have a good photo of it and certainly not with it's wings open.
Nearly every bush at this spot had Mistletoe's and this is what this butterfly lays her eggs on.
I love the type of mistletoe's that were growing at this spot as I think it is an exceptionally  pretty one but due to the mosquito's I wasn't able to get a good shot of them for you and am as yet unable to find the shots I do have possibly due to my computer being zapped my lightening a year or so ago. 
 I have decided to use these photo's( below ) that I took some time ago not good photos but at least they will give you some idea how pretty this butterfly is.


Female Satin Azure 
Two Satin Azure's resting with wings open showing the beautiful blue on the inside of their wings

Satin Azures lay their eggs on various mistletoe's and when the larvae hatch they are tended by ants who are rewarded by a honey like substance that is produced by the larvae.











Comments