GREAT WESTERN WOODLAND

 Well I don't think I have told you that I live right slap bang in the middle of the largest untouched Temperate Woodland in the Southern hemisphere.
 I have been here for over 40 years now and only now am I getting to know and appreciate it's beauty and the wonder of it.
Now where do I begin.
Well firstly it covers an area the size of England, it is home to 49 mammal species, 215 bird species, 138 reptiles and 14 frogs.
And if that isn't enough 3,000 species of plant life grow here along with a fourth of Australia's Eucalyptus.,
This year we have had the best rain's for many years and the bush is alive it seems as if every creature is busy mating, perhaps to make  up for lost time.
I could spend every spare moment out there in the cooler months as it is so interesting and for much of the time you are out there you can kid yourself that you may be first person to walk this piece of soil. Fences are few and far between and sometimes you wont see a soul
The GWBL has a quite beauty, no snow capped peaks, no rivers, streams , waterfalls or rolling green fields in fact water is a rare commodity here.
 Our temperature's  range from the high forties in Summer to below Zero in winter and we can expect an average rainfall of about 260mm a year.
So what I think I will do is over time I will post info and best of all pictures to tell you the story of why I live where I live
Rainbow over a small swamp home to an abundance of wildlife 


One of my pastel paintings of wildflower time 

Yellow Throated Miner bird and Eremophila flower

One of the many Granite Rocks scattered over the area





Comments

Post a Comment