Bird of the Week CRESTED BELLBIRD (Oreoica gutturalis)

Crested Bellbird
Funny how something can stay in your mind for years but you can't remember your best friend name when you have to introduce her to someone .
When I first came to the west from the eastern states over 40 years ago.I recall my Father saying to me as we were making camp, and we heard a bird calling "That's a Crested Bell bird"  I was so impressed with his knowledge not knowing that they can be found over a large part of  Australia.
came across this one on the road 
Anyhow lately since I became the proud owner of a DSLR camera with a 300 zoom on it I have developed a bit of a mania to photograph anything that moves and birds are my Fav victims.
Now though I had heard this bird 40 odd years ago I no longer remember their call.
( I blame rearing 3 children to adult hood and being dragged around the bush by a variety of dogs for my forgetfulness.)
The Bell bird has a haunting call that beckons you come hither, follow me,  but when you do follow  you get no closer, it seems to be just the same distance away, leading you deeper into the bush. So so frustrating yet sooo intriguing!!!
One of the mistakes I made when first lookin for this fellow is looking up in the trees, where as this bird spends a lot of time on the ground  foraging for food and seems quite unwilling to go up in the bushes.
I love the Little black Mohawke type crest that The Crested Bellbird has on top of his grey head he is a very dapper chappie with the black bib and grey green waistcoat and stunning Red eyes. ,



Comments