THE OTHER MANS GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER

Over the last year or so I have become somewhat possessed (to say the least) by bird photography .
I drive with one eye on power lines (Raptors love power lines as they get a birds eye view of almost anything that moves from up there) my peripheral vision has increased out of sight as any little feathered friend that flits by has no hope of being missed by my my eagle eyes this can be quite frightening as I tend to veer off to the direction I am looking in.
Then to make matters worse I have great hearing and I can hear them ,birds that is, everywhere. I have been woken from a deep slumber by unfamiliar call early in the morning, calls that just have to be investigated.
Anyhow I sort of got sidetracked there for a moment now to get back to the subject Other Mans grass is Always Greener.
Most weekends my friend and I drive quite considerable distances to find birds, We then proceed to park our car and go for a long walk looking for them.
Last Sunday after the long walk and upon returning to our vehicle I relised that there were more birds around it than I had seen during the entire morning and whats more they were all new to me.
Now today just to prove my point a friend took me for a walk a short distance from my home to places I was unaware of and to both my surprise and pleasure we saw Ducks,Grebe's, Native Hen's, to name but a few, bird's that I would normally drive long distances to see right here almost in my back yard ! Can you believe that???
Below I have poster 3 shots of some of the birds we saw today. Hope you enjoy them

 The Black Tailed Native Hen in the pic below is a waterfowl, a timid bird  and sadly this picture doesn't show how red the legs are and that the upper part of the beak is green while the lower beak is red so along with the orange eye they are a sight to see. Lately I have seen large groups of them with up to a hundred birds in a flock.
Like a lot of birds in the arid interior of Australia the Native hen is a nomad .
They will appear overnight stay awhile and leave, sometimes for years!! Following the water on doubt!!!!


 On our right we have the Crested or Topknot Pigeon another timid bird when it is disturbed it takes off with a wirr of it's wing's alerting any wildlife nearby of your presence.
They can be found over most of Australia .The bird in this shot is unusual in that it's head is very dark, normally is would be more of a light grey one line of thought is that they are some sort of mutation.

 I am always amazed at the number of water birds we have in this arid country the ducks below are Grey Teals and once again can be found all over Australia . They lay 7 to 10  eggs in the hallow of a tree and like the Native hen are nomads following the rain

Comments