RIP WILLY!!!

The backyard used to be my safe place and I thought it was so for the creatures who shared it with me.
 Well that illusion was shattered this week .
I was making coffee when I became aware that the birds out in the yard were upset when I checked I saw a strange bird right down the back
 To my surprise I found that the intruder was a Sparrowhawk standing over the remains of a bird.
It was difficult to identify the dead bird as only a few feathers remained, the Sparrow hawk took what was left of the carcass with it when disturbed.
Collared  Sparrow Hawk
Over the past few days I have found that the only bird missing from
Willey liked to get a bit of height
And wasn't afraid to push his chest out

and if all else failed he could jump on it
the usual ones who frequent my garden is the Willy Wagtail, he has been here for a least 3 or 4 years and I shall miss his chattering call.
If you live in Australia you will know why I am so cut up.
 Willy Wagtails are personality on steroids and fear is something they don't know about when it comes to protecting their territory, they are often seen hassling  birds and animals much larger than themselves.
These dear little birds are insectivores, measure 18 to 22 cm and weigh just 20 g it is thought they live for about 15 years and mate for life.
Wagtails are busy creatures as you would expect considering they have to catch their own weight in insects everyday .
They are constantly on the move waging their fantail from side to side to frighten insects into flight and the insect is then caught by Willy on the wing.
They quite enjoy human company especially if that happens to be a  gardening human, disturbing insects
 They love to feed with cows for the same reason.
Aboriginals held many beliefs regarding this bird, one being that it was a gossip.


Comments

  1. How sad Robyn but I am sure the space will be soon filled...its bird eat bird in the feathered world

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes !! You are so right Coral ! Still he will be missed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment