Mignonette Orchid


A colony of the dainty Mignonette Orchid I found.
I was so excited to find this little orchid on the weekend as I had never seen them before and wasn't even sure if they grew at the place where I found them.
They were only about 13 cm high and the flowers themselves about 1/3cm across.
I am not happy with my photos but as I found them over 100 klms away I can't pop back and retake.
 It seems I am always time poor when I find something cool and also invariably it is just a wee while before we have to make the return journey home, so I am taking photos under pressure and as I am a learner it isn't an ideal situation. I am positive it will take the rest of my life  learning about F stops and ISO and all the rest of the camera mumbo jumbo before I get the results I would really like so Please bare with me till I get there.
These orchids are found all over Australia with 11 species in WA .
They grow best in wet areas such as the shallow soils on granite rocks which is where I found these and sometimes are stimulated into growth by fire.

Comments