Cicada Sing a Song of Summertime

I frequently wander around my garden camera in hand looking for my next victim. Yesterday while involved in this activity I saw a Cicada fly and land .
I have spent a lot of time trying to track them from their call without success so was happy to finally Get one.
I was even happier when I discovered this one had blue stripes on it's tummy and a sprinkling of gold dust over it upper body  easier to identify me thinks, hummm !!
Well there are over 200 Cicadas in Aussie and so far I can't find one like this!!! Will take a look on Flickr next.
Anyhow now after all this research, I am at this belated stage in my life, a full bottle on Cicadas.
As a child in Far North Queensland I loved to hear them sing and to collect the discarded shells lining them up from largest to smallest I didn't know then that I lived in the area with the most variety's of Cicadas in Australia! Certainly they were giants in comparison to the little fellows I am finding here in this arid part of the country.
I recall my surprise a few years ago while visiting the Macedon area outside of Melbourne at the deafening sound of Cicadas it was almost unbearable . Incredible to think an insect was the cause of this sound, it would have rivalled a jet engine .



Comments

  1. Thank you Coral!!! Working hard at the photography using manual most of the time now ! But just when I think I have it all worked out I find there is something else to learn but never mind it is an enjoyable journey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment