TIGER BEETLE'S They will give you a run for your money

TIGER BEETLE


Earlier in the year when we had our first good rain in a long time, I took a drive out to one of the nearby lakes and was overjoyed to find that what was just a dry clay pan a few days before was now knee deep with water and already the local creatures were breeding and organising themselves for the abundance of food they knew would soon be available.
 As I approached the waters edge I saw this strange creature running about faster than a speeding bullet and that I tell you that is no lie!!! At first I thought it was specially evolved to walk about in water and catch it's prey but this isn't the case.
Tiger Beetles live on the dry salt lakes and are believed to be the fastest  beetles on the planet and like I said faster than a speeding bullet, in fact they are so fast they go blind and have to stop to gain a visual on the intended victim. Some Tiger beetles can run 53 mtrs a second .They are a  vicious killer hence their name and with that incredible speed once the victims are in their sights there no escape.
One of my friends recalls seeing these beetles in the bush in great numbers and also duelling with Wolf spiders I don't recall who won!










Comments