My Welcome visitor a BARN OWL Tyto alba

Some mornings I am awoke from my sleep by the sounds of birds and in my semiconscious state I analise the various sounds.
This morning the Brown honey eater's were making an unearthly racket as were other birds but I was just to lazy to go see what was going on until I made my morning cuppa and then I wandered out to my front gate.The racket was coming from one of the gum trees on the verge as I watched Laughing Turtle Doves dropped into the branches as did Mudlarks,Singing Honey eaters,and  Red Wattle Birds and along with the tiny Brown Honey eater's were all sounding their alarm call and calling their mates
I observed them for quite awhile before I decided to get a better look and am sooo glad I did as hidden in the branches was a Barn owl ! My cuppa was discarded  on the footpath as I ran for my camera.  I shouldn't  have worried as he stayed all day not leaving till well after nightfall. I haven't seen an Owl for years and years and here is one right on my doorstep.
I can't help wonder what this nocturnal bird is doing out during the day ! I just hope it finds its way back home safely.
Barn Owls eat mice insects and sometimes small birds , so were all these birds afraid or curious of the stranger in their midst ????
Barn Owls have ears very close to their eyes and the heart shape of the face helps to guide sound to their ears enabling them to catch prey on sound alone.
They mate for life and become emotionally attached their mates .
Barn Owls are found over much of the world with some variation in colouring and markings, they live in caves, hollow trees or in old buildings and will use nesting boxes if available 3 eggs are laid these hatch after 33 days and the young are fledged in about 6 to 9  weeks, during this time they are fed by both parents.
I thought it interesting that owls eyes are so large and close to the ears that there is no room for eye muscles so they can't move their eyes but this is compensated for by the fact that they can turn the head 180 degrees and can move their head without moving the body.



Comments

  1. I believe this beautiful owl was in MY verge tree :) Great photo, wish I was home to see it in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now who would that be ???? Lol I would have come and let you know if your household hadn't all been ill !

      Delete

Post a Comment