DunnaDunna not a Cactus not a succulent but a Hibiscus !!!!!

I often find unusual plants on my trips out the bush and try as I may, can never find any information on them.
So you can imagine my dismay when only a week after photographing a plant a friend posted photos of this same plant and she had already indentified it.SO Cool !!!

The plant in question is called Dunna Dunna. Lawrencia helmsii and it looks like something from a sci fiction movie
I found it growing near a salt lake in the poorest meanest soil it could find.
I only saw one patch of the Dunna Dunna( It's aboriginal name) growing but as I only have a few hours when I go out the  bush I don't get to go and explore so do doubt there was plenty growing elsewhere

around the lake.
When first viewed this plant appears to be just surviving but when properly examined you can see that it is doing ok and that each branch is made up of tiny little green individual star like flower's.
What I find surprising is that this plant is related to the Hibiscus family.
I hope to return and get some macro images  before to long  and   hopefully learn some more about this interesting plant. I shall keep you posted.

Comments

  1. Hi Rob, This isn't the photo we were talking about,is it? Regards Brian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment