Delicate Dragonflys

I have been trying to get a good shot of dragonfly's for ages and at last I have some I am happy with.
 I was walking through the bush a few days ago when this mating pair landed right beside me and for once I had the right settings, lens and light and it all came together for me !! Magic !!!

I think this one is a Tau Emerald ( Hemicordulia tua ) as it was quite a way from water, from my reading it seems that this species is often found away from permanent water and  it lays its eggs over still or temporary water.
While the Australian Emerald like areas where there is more permanent water, apparently they are quite similar in appearance and while
there are other ways of discerning the difference between Australian Emerald and Emerald Tau but I do not have the knowledge to do this .
Most years we have one dragonfly who decides our drive way belongs to it and even tries to eyeball me and move me on. My friends give me concerned looks when I tell them about this but I know I am right , even butterfly's will try this on.
Tau Emeralds are common and  found over most of Australia except for the far north .

Comments