The Large Cuckoo Wasp (family Chrysididae)

I was enjoying a cup of tea with a friend a few days ago when suddenly a large insect flu in thru the open door.
At first I thought it was black but when I caught a glimpse of iridescent blue , my visitor was forgotten in my haste to get my camera , change lens and settings and then try to capture some images of this beautiful creature. I would love to have the chance to photograph this wasp outdoors in natural light  instead of indoors with a flash.
Cuckoo Wasp
I don't recall ever seeing one of these before.
As the name implies this wasp lays her eggs in other wasps nests and if attacked by an  angry mother wasp she  will curl into a ball. She is also protected by the armour plates on her body .

 This exquisite insect has the Honor of being featured on a Colour printed $1 coin produced by the Royal Australian Mint .

Comments