Yellow Hairy Flower Wasp ( campsomeris tasmaniensis) A Great little fellow to have in your garden !!

I wonder how many times these little wasps have visited my garden and I wasn't even aware of them.
Even then it took one to get caught on my kitchen window before they caught my attention and I got to see one up close and personal.
Shortly after I spied one on a rose bush and was fortunate enough to get a couple of good shots in before it took off.
A  male Yellow Hairy Flower Wasp
 So off to my trusty computer and Google to identify this furry fellow and learn something about it.
At first I thought I had found a was a native bee of some sort so I wasted a day on that, when suddenly the penny dropped that this little creature wasn't a bee but a Native wasp. Just goes to show much I have yet to learn ! Soon I had some answers and my wasp is one of the Flower wasps and while they do have a sting are not into using it on humans
Really they are a great little fellow to have around as the hair on the body pollinates flowers and they are a parasite of scarab beetles and one of these is your lawn beetle.
One good reason for not using pesticides and for identifying and learning about the creatures you share this world with before running for poisons.
This wasp was about 20 to 25 mm long and very hairy, it appears that this one is a male as the female is quite different but I have yet to see one of these. I have observed the males circling low over my lawn during the morning waiting for a female no doubt
Love the eyes  !!!

Here is a great blog that you might like to take a look at  Backyard Buddies: Hairy Flower Wasp | The Foundation for National Parks and Wildlife

Comments